"Ruby"
The 1960 VW Beetle
Page 4


              

After working on the front - I jacked up the back and started working on the back brakes.  It was a good thing that I did, because on the passenger side, the brakes were installed incorrectly and on the drivers side, the emergency brake cable was acually lose and bent.

rear brakes

After looking at everything, I decided that I would go farther and remove the engine and transmission.  This way I could install new rubber transmission mounts, replace the rear bearings, and go through the engine.

There are a lot of good instructions for removing VW engines out there.  The thing to remember is that you need to be sure to disconnect all the cables (accelerator and heater).  In my case, I had to remove the heater assemblies as well.  With some assistance from my girlfriend, I finally got the engine out.

Engine Out 

For those with good eyes, you can see that over time, the lower duct work was removed and is missing.

Looking on the back side, you can see that it still has the older clutch pressure plate.  I may upgrade this to a newer version.

Engine Back

Although the serial number on the engine indicates that this is a 1600 out of a Superbeetle, I question that since it still has the older oil cooler.  A sticker on the fan housing says that it's a 1500 from 1967.

Oil Cooler

I'll post additional picture of the engine after I tear into it.


Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10